The Newport Charter Review Commission is in the process of reviewing the charter and on Wednesday, the public has a chance to weigh in.
According to the agenda, the commission is particularly interested in the following issues:
- How the mayor is elected.
- Whether to eliminate wards and have all City Councilors serve at-large.
- Term limits and staggered terms
- Elected vs. appointed School Committee
- Roles of mayor and city manager
- How boards and commissions function
You can review the current charter at the City Clerk's office or on the city's Web site at www.cityofnewport.com. Look for "codified ordinances."
You can also email the commission at firstname.lastname@example.org
The meeting is at 6 p.m. in the assembly room of the Newport Police Station, 1200 Broadway.