Last Friday, Salve Regina University issued the following Crime Alert to students and faculty:
Synopsis: On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 10:30 p.m. the Office of Safety and Security was notified by a third party that at approximately 8:15 p.m., a female Salve Regina student was assaulted while walking on Ruggles Avenue near Founders and Wallace Halls. The reported incident occurred when an automobile passed the student’s location and then stopped, backed up, and stopped again close to the student. A passenger yelled a homophobic remark, and then another passenger exited the vehicle, walked over to the student and punched her in the face. Two or three other males inside the vehicle were laughing as the vehicle drove west toward Bellevue Ave. The Salve student made it safely back to her residence hall.
Suspect: White male, just under 6’ feet in in height, late teens early twenties medium build, scruffy appearance, dark clothing. The vehicle was dark in color and believed to be a sub-compact model (no state or plate information).
Anyone with any information is strongly encouraged to contact the Office of Safety and Security immediately at 341-2325. The office is covered 24/7.
Another incident, which was reported to the campus community in a Crime alert on October 9, occurred outside of New Residence / Miley Hall and reportedly involved a simple assault on a female student. Both incidents are under investigation. At this time, it has not been determined if the two incidents are connected. Salve Regina University is working with the Newport Police.
- Safety & Security and the Newport Police will increase patrols on campus, especially during the evening hours.
- A check with Newport Police reveals no other reported incidents taking place in the geographical areas of New Residence/Miley Hall or Ruggles Ave./Wallace Hall.
Student Recommendations ( safety tips for all Salve community members):
- Please use caution when out at night. Walk with a partner for additional safety or use the campus shuttle by telephoning extension 7433. Remember it is getting darker earlier now that we are in the fall season.
- If you observe suspicious activity immediately notify Safety & Security at 341-2325.
- Please be aware of the locations of the 29 campus emergency telephones (see link below)
The crime report comes during of a wave of assault reports and rumors in Newport, most recently a report of a 42-year-old woman assaulted on Friday, Oct. 12 near Murphy Field. The assault also reportedly took place near Ruggles Avenue.
If you have any information regarding an assault, contact Detective Michaud at (401) 845-5775 or call the anonymous TIPS line at (401)846-2606.