.

Navy Yard Gunman Had Run-Ins With Newport Police Last Month

Aaron Alexis, the gunman who killed 12 people at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C, said he believed a "microwave machine" was penetrating his body.

Published Tuesday, Sept. 16 at 2:30 p.m.

Aaron Alexis, the gunman who killed 12 people at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C, before being shot and killed Monday, Sept. 16, was in Newport and Middletown in August, according to police.

Alexis, working as a Navy contractor, made a call to the Newport Police on Aug. 7 and said he had an argument with three people at the airport and claimed that they were following him, said Lt. William Fitzgerald of the Newport police.

Alexis was staying at the Marriott Hotel, located at 25 America's Cup Ave., and complained the people were speaking to him through a wall and keeping him awake by sending vibrations into his body, according to the police report.  

He allegedly said the individuals were using "some sort of microwave machine" to send vibrations through the ceiling, penetrating his body so he could not go to sleep.

He reportedly said he did not have a history of mental illness in his family and that he has never had any sort of psychotic episode.

The police reports were faxed to the Navy Police. Sources said he stayed at hotels in Middletown and Newport during his stay. 

Alexis, 34, joined the Navy as a reservist in 2007 and he was detached from service for a series of misconduct issues, a Navy official said.

Alexis worked for Hewlett-Packard as an IT subcontractor for the Navy, according to ABC. The incident remains under investigation.

The incident is currently under investigation. Patch will provide more details as they are made available. 





Jack Baillargeron September 17, 2013 at 09:38 PM
What a sad lack of due diligence on the part of those involved in checking these people out. How does a guy with the backround he had get security clearences to work on a military installation? even when Newport did the right thing in reporting it to the NAVY, he still has his pass to get on the base in DC. Unbelievable.
Sara Bloom September 18, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Read about Targeted Individuals on the web. Maybe the guy wasn't so crazy after all. Keep in mind I too brush off stuff like this because I don't want to believe it could be true. But it's interesting nonetheless and makes you wonder.
Kyle September 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM
For the Navy to separate an individual for Misconduct it only takes 3 NJP events on their record. The ship I was on had 130 enlisted, and the captain held Captains mast every Wednesday. Usually for three or four individuals. Being 5 minutes late to muster could be one, or telling your LPO to Fox-trot-Oscar another. There is an incentive to have mass, the reduction in pay ends up in the crews recreational pool, Now I am NOT saying there should not be punishment for these loons, But if the regs make you classify a majority as nuts, then the true nuts do NOT stand out, and do NOT get recognized. And the VA needs more funding to help the ones that need it. But even if you caught all the nuts that did volunteer, you still not screen all the nuts that did NOT volunteer, and that is a much larger fruit cake.
Mark Wyman September 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM
He was separated from the Navy for two gun incidents. In one hethreatened someone in the other he shot someones tires. He has also been treated several times by the VA for mental illness.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something