A fire that broke out on Friday at the Festival Field
apartment complex, located at 90 Girard Ave., caused an estimated $50,000
in damage, according to the Newport Fire Department. No injuries were
reported. Nine residents have been placed in temporary housing by the Red
Cross as a result of the fire.
At around 10:15 p.m., crews forced entry into the unoccupied apartment and found the fire in the bedroom.
The fire was extinguished within 13 minutes, said the Fire Marshal Wayne Clark.
Crews used a water extinguisher, while a second crew entered the front door and completed the extinguishment of the bedding and bedroom contents with a hand line.
Heavy fire damage was limited to the bedroom and adjacent hallway within the dwelling unit while the remainder of the unit received significant smoke and heat damage. Smoke damage to the rest of the building was limited to the area outside of the apartment in the common area, entrance hallway, and adjacent apartment units.