Thousands of lights will adorn the trees, thirty foot rock wall and other unique features of Ballard Park’s quarry meadow from Thursday, February 21 to Saturday, February 23 from 6 to 9pm during the 8th Annual Illuminated Garden. Friends of Ballard Park needs your help to light up the night!
Volunteers are needed throughout the week to help execute the event. The Illuminated Garden falls during public school vacation week which makes this a great opportunity for students to earn community service hours. Below are the dates, times and tasks Friends of Ballard Park needs help with:
- Wednesday, February 20, 9am to 3pm: Light set-up in the quarry meadow
- Thursday, February 21, 9am to 3pm: Light set-up in the quarry meadow
- Thursday, February 21, 4pm to 10pm: Event set-up, greeters, docents and event breakdown
- Friday, February 22, 5pm to 10pm: Event set-up, greeters, docents and event breakdown
- Saturday, February 23, 5pm to 10pm: Event set-up, greeters, docents and event breakdown
When planning your volunteer times please commit to a three-hour shift. Volunteers should dress very warmly (hats, gloves, boots, long johns) and bring extra layers as it gets cold standing outside all evening. Volunteers should wear clothes they don’t mind getting dirty (jeans, sweatshirts) and wear appropriate boots as the ground may be muddy and is uneven in places.
Ballard Park is located at the corner of Hazard and Wickham Roads in Newport. The event is best accessed through the Hazard Road entrance. Volunteers should bring any forms they need signed to verify community service hours to the event.
If you are interested in volunteering, please e-mail email@example.com
with times you are available and a contact phone number.
The 8th Annual Illuminated Garden is free and open to the public but donations are accepted.