No Injuries in Fire at Kay Boulevard Duplex
A fire broke out at 80-82 Kay Blvd. on Tuesday night.
A fire that broke out Tuesday night on Kay Boulevard was ruled not suspicious, police and fire officials say. The fire broke out at 8:09 p.m. and was extinguished by 9 p.m. There were no injuries.
The residents of the duplex at 80-82 Kay Blvd. were evacuated and the home has been deemed uninhabitable. The fire began in the back of the duplex and caused heavy damage to the rear, reports said.
Damage caused by the fire is estimated to be between $20,000 and $30,000.
According to police reports, one of the residents of 82 Kay Blvd. had been cleaning the embers from his fireplace. He told police he placed them in a fire pan outside and watered them down around 11 a.m. that morning.
The incident remains under investigation by the Newport Fire Department.