- NewportFILM will be holding a mini-fest on Friday and Saturday. The Island President will be shown on Friday night and Rampart will be shown on Saturday night. Both films will begin at 7 p.m. at the Casino Theatre with an opening wine reception beginning at 6 p.m. for an additional fee. There will also be a children’s film, Eleanor’s Secret, on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Salve Regina’s Megley Theatre in the Antone Academic Center. For more information and tickets, go to www.newportfilm.com.
- The Newport City Council will hold a Strategic Planning Workshop on Saturday from 9:30 a.m. in the Newport Public Library Program Room. The public is welcome to attend.
- The Newport Art Museum’s Winter Lecture Series will feature a program by Art Manchester who will demonstrate “How Jazz Works.” The lecture begins at 2 p.m. and admission is $10 for members or $15 for non-members.
- This weekend is your last chance to dine at a Newport institution, Salas’. The restaurant will be closing its doors after Saturday night, January 14, and nearly 60 years as the place to go for spaghetti by the pound and more.
- Exhibiting artist Andrew Nixon will be available at the Newport Art Museum for a meet and greet on Sunday at 2 p.m. This opportunity is included with the regular price of admission to the museum.
And don't forget to check out all the happenings in Middletown this weekend here.