Cigarettes May Have Caused Dudley Street Porch Fire
The fire, which broke out on Tuesday, is suspected to have been started by cigarettes disposed in mulch by the front porch.
A fire that broke out at 16 Dudley Street on Tuesday is suspected to have been caused by cigarettes disposed in mulch in front of the house, reports said.
Newport police responded to a working fire report at 12:29 p.m. and began to contain the fire on the front porch with fire extinguishers. The Newport Fire Department responded shortly after and was able to contain it.
The fire was contained to the front of the house and did not enter the residence. Reports said minor damage included charring to the main structure as well as to floor boards and trim boards.
Christina T. Jones, 23, who lives on the first floor, said she smelled smoke. When she went outside and found the front porch smoking, she called 911.
She and her mother, Colleen K. Smith, 47, admitted to smoking on the front porch, but said they always dispose of their cigarettes properly.