The initial response to NewportReady has been strong.
This note provides a glimpse of what's been accomplished, what's going on right now, what's in the works, and pointers to places where you can get more information on becoming more ready. (If you haven’t yet signed up, you can easily do so at http://bit.ly/NptRdyAlert ) If you have a suggestion, question, idea, or a request, please let us know: help@NewportReady.org
What's been accomplished?
- Loaded your email address into our rapid email broadcast system. Your phone information has been loaded into our phone message broadcast system. Both systems are ready to go.
- Added a NewportReady Facebook presence and make periodic updates. Please “like” us.
- Met with the police chief seeking agreement on use of a private radio frequency to pass important situational information into the city's emergency operations center. (An open issue).
- Provided regular updates to the boards of Alliance for Livable Newport and the Point Association.
What's going on right now?
- Distributing a short survey to better understand your concerns, your level of readiness, and to what extent you are interested in specific training.
- Lobbying the city council to find a path forward that gives all of us an opportunity to be more interactive, more collaborative with Newport’s public safety personnel.
- Preparing for an online “tabletop” exercise called “Formidable Footprint” that will let us step through a hypothetical hurricane scenario and highlight problem areas. “Readiness” is a journey; we’ll be on the path for awhile.
What's in the works?
- Choosing a system that can get short SMS text messages to you should the Internet and normal cellphone service get disrupted. SMS text messages are short and take little bandwidth to find their way to you.
- Deploying a low cost city-wide, radio-based communication system that can operate when the power and Internet are out.
- Participating in the 2012 Walk to End Alzheimer’s at Salve University, Sunday September 23rd. Join us.
What can you do?
- Complete the NewportReady survey via https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2SBHL25
- Keep your contact information current via http://bit.ly/NptRdyAlert
- Become a walker in the Alzheimer’s fundraiser or sponsor one -- http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=1372&pg=entry
- Spend 30 minutes at http://www.ready.gov/ and start making a plan or building a kit